Skip to main content

Faith

Faith


A goodly life, our village liv’d,
With simple faith,
Boats full with fish,
Fields fecund and fertile,
Far from all the furies of Rome.

And yet, it was not half enough.
Oh, not at first,
Our gentle life,
Quiet, happy, and free,
‘Until he challeng’d, ‘Follow me!’

He offered us a deeper faith
Than ‘ere we’d found;
Faith through trials
To fight the faithful fight,
Life with faith liv’d against the grain.

We followed to the heights of faith:
Life to the dead,
Our sins forgiv’n,
 By his word, demons fled,
Furious winds and waves obeyed.

Yet ever on he nudged our faith:
‘Step from the boat,’
‘Transfer this mount,’
‘Carry your cross, follow me,’
And, ‘Confess my name before men.’

At last, he set a final test
That, having failed,
Matur’d our faith:
He, an off’ring for sin,
God’s glory fastened to a cross.

And when our faith falter’d and fell,
He pray’d for us,
And faith returned:
Jesus, ris’n from his grave!
Believe now Him who defeated death!

Then did this follower find faith
Unfaltering,
Trust in my Friend,
Lord, Defender, my God!
Where ’er He leads, I’ll follow Him.

Rollin Grams, 19 July, 2017